SiteSpy provides Internet of Things (IoT) solutions for the environmental monitoring and logistics industries. Our solution leverages cutting-edge, low-power radio technology to provide data streams from remote sensors.
Our core offering is the SenseNet kit. This kit enables a popup LPWAN network using a cellular gateway. Battery-powered sensors transmit data to the portable gateway which uses cellular networks to backhaul data to the cloud. The benefits of LPWAN include:
- Low power
- Long range (up to 10 km line-of-sight)
- Long device life
- More reliable than other radio alternatives – Bluetooth, Zigbee etc.
The SenseNet kit can be deployed anywhere there is cellular coverage and power to run the gateway. A single gateway can handle the data from as many as 10,000 sensor devices.
The battery-powered sensors use LPWAN technology to transmit data to the gateway. LPWAN is proven to be more robust than Bluetooth, Zigbee or other line-of-sight radio technologies as seen in our implementation for UCD PEAC. For this reason, sensor power consumption is minimal. On average, sensors can be expected to last up to 2 years.
Once transmitted to the gateway the data can be integrated to a cloud database in real-time, where a bespoke dashboard can be designed for multiple environments, mobile, tablet or desktop. SiteSpy offer a configurable web platform where data can be analysed and delivered in a manner tailored to your needs.
Use Case 1 – Smart Environment Monitoring for UCD
Our flagship application is a deployment for the UCD PEAC project. Our Smart Environment Monitor (SEM) sensors measure temperature and humidity in Conviron plant growth chambers. This data is collected by a cellular gateway and transmitted to the cloud. It is then provided to UCD via a website which graphs the data over time.
Important points to note:
- The sensors are deployed in controlled environment growth chambers which are extremely challenging RF environments
- The chambers provide automatic irrigation of plants, necessitating robust and waterproof sensor design to ensure protection of electronics
- The sensors provide readings of temperature and humidity every 10 minutes – these are provided in a real-time, 24/7 feed to the project website
- The sensors are powered by 2 x AA batteries. Battery life is c. 18 months